Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Learning As I Go

Spring has sprung! It is suddenly 70 degrees and sunny around here. Perfect weather in my mind. I could easily take 365 days just like the one we are having. Warm enough not to need shoes and get a little sun on your face, but still cool enough to wear skinny jeans and a simple top which is pretty much my uniform these days. And, I might mention, that Pippa has now entered the stage where she likes to dress herself. And clearly, her too-too is one of her favorite items. At least I managed to get her to wear something that sort of goes with it. Though, I have to admit she usually does a pretty good job picking out her entire outfit. Things don't often match, but at least she picks pants, a shirt, and a sweater. Another current favorite are her leg warmers. Very chic.

What better way to take advantage of the great weather than packing a picnic and heading to the park. We had a great time there and now that both of my busy kids are sleeping away in their beds, I can sit back and say I'm glad we went. Though, I've learned a few valuable lessons for next time. And here they are:

When taking two small, very active, children to the park alone for multiple hours...

1. Take a stroller. If for no other reason than to carry the diaper bag, picnic basket, water proof blanket, and coats. And, yes, I brought coats. Just in case. I've made the mistake before of thinking it was warmer than it actually was and having to withstand the condescending looks from other mother's who thought my children were about to die from exposure. Not that I care one iota, but like the boy scouts always say, be prepared. Another good reason to have a stroller handy, I realized, is because Lincoln does not do quite so good at eating roasted squash fries while crawling all over the blanket, and grass, and me, and his sister. Containing that ball of excitement would have been helpful.

2. Pee before you leave the house. Though, if I had a stroller, I suppose it wouldn't have been an issue.

3. Wear comfortable shoes, preferably something that will allow you to run across the massive field to catch Pippa, who does not want to leave, and then run back to where you dumped your baby and all the bags (all of which could have been safe and secure in a stroller!). This way you wont have to worry about breaking your ankle from wearing notoriously unstable clogs. (Though, they are offally cute.)


4. Put hand sanitizer in the picnic basket. This way when you remember half way through lunch that you didn't wash anyone's hands you can casually bring it out and act like it's the second time you've done it during the meal, thereby appeasing the mommy mafia who surely is watching and taking notes. (I know my husband is rolling his eyes and thinking it's all in my head, but I assure it's not. They really are watching.)

So, some valuable lessons learned and a great time had by all. And now, my friends, it's time for my nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment