Monday, December 31, 2012

A Year In Review: 2012

2012. Where to start? It's all a little fuzzy, honestly. Perhaps it's because I'm only now writing about it in February of 2013 (Yes, I back dated this post). That is saying something about how 2012 flew by and my state of mind at the moment. I have come to learn that having one kid is easy. Not easy, because having any number of kids is, of course, challenging but in retrospect having only one makes it so much easier to maintain control of all the glass balls that we balance everyday. When did I feel like I was starting to loose that perfect balance? Hmmm. Let me think. That would be when Lincoln started to walk. Having a second mobile and curious little mind who can now run the opposite direction of his sister and yet cause just as much, or even more, chaos changed everything. And since he started walking just before his 1st Birthday we've been living this truth for most of the year.

And then he started climbing.

And then he started moving chairs over to the counter.

I am constantly (constantly) picking random things up off the floor such as pens, refrigerator magnets, wooden spoons, construction paper, and there was one particular incident involving dried mung beans that I will not forget anytime soon. As hard as I try to keep on top of things I can see the peace in my household slipping. I'm getting corners of clutter and my toy baskets are no longer organized by type. So what's to do about it? Be realistic, that's what. So my counter tops aren't always (or often) clear. So the clean laundry sits in the dryer for 24 (or 48) hours. It all gets done eventually...usually the hour before the housekeepers arrive, but whatever. I just keep reminding myself that I'm in the thick of it right now and before I know it, both my kids will be in school all day every day and I won't know what to do with myself. Or at least that's what I want to believe right now. I need to believe that right now.

So, with my somewhat downer reflections out of the way, let me sum up this glorious year of our Lord 2012. We started the year battling cold after cold but came through it victorious and crunchier than ever because of it. We've started some important supplements and made a few changes to our diet that have improved the health of the family as a whole. Lincoln started solids, and true to form insisted on doing it his way only accepting pieces of whatever the rest of us where eating. He became mobile, learning to crawl, and then walk, then run, and finally climb. He was following his sister up the ladder of the swing set and down the slide by 1 year old. Not so much talking but lots of personality and fun anyway. He loves music and is quick to join in on any song that involves hand motions (thank you Kids Music Round and Miss Marilyn!). He's a complete mama's boy and doesn't want to spend one precious moment away from me. Can you blame him? The boy's got good taste, what can I say?

Pippa had a pretty great year too. She is growing so fast and turning into such a beautiful and smart little girl. She made the transition from toddler to preschooler. She learned to use the big girl potty which I think was as big of an accomplishment for me as it was for her! She also turned 3 and blossomed into the 3 year old that every parent thinks they wont have and yet they do. She is supremely independent and knows her own mind which, though are challenging attributes at times, makes me incredibly proud. She started school at Montessori and is doing wonderfully. Her self confidence is growing every day and she is nearly reading, starting to write, and doing great at pre-math things like puzzles and simple word problems. She is a great big sister and even when she and Lincoln are fighting over some toy (which is often, btw) she is still always loving towards him.



It's been a good year for Sto and I as well. We are stronger than ever and thankful every day for the family we've given each other. We made it through the first year of babyhood, survived anther hurricane, saw our first born of to preschool, and even managed to have a few great vacations. Sto got a partner which opened him up to some actual and blessed free time and I was hired by a family practice and scheduled to start in the new year. Lincoln will starting daycare soon too (stay tuned for that story...). In 2013 we are looking forward to a new family balance with me at work, more family vacations, maybe some camping, getting in shape (don't we say that every year?), and lots more laughs and love. Oh yeah, and a wedding! Joel and Katelyn will be tying the knot in November and we can't wait. There is nothing we love more than family and in our world, the more the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment