My kids are a like in so many ways. But in so many (more) ways they are opposites. Sleep is a big one. Pippa is and always has been what I refer to as a Super Sleeper. It's like her super power. She used to cut us off from the reading books/snuggle portion of our bedtime routine and point to bed. Yes, this was before she could talk, and since she was speaking in sentences by 18 months it must have been pretty early. She's also a heavy sleeper. A freight train could run through her room and she wouldn't wake up.Lincoln on the other hand, does not like to go to sleep. Ever. He always voices his protest at bed or nap time. And by voices I mean screams. Loudly. He can be quite dramatic but it only lasts a minute or two (or occasionally 10) (or one time it lasted an hour but let's not relive that night). It's as if he just wants to say, 'I'm just reminding you that this bedtime thing was NOT my idea!' Then, Zzzzz. However, unlike his log-sawing sister, he is a very light sleeper. Any little thing will wake him up. I would love to leave a window open a crack at night but the birds are just too darn loud in the morning and he'd be up at 5:30am! No thank you.
Sometimes it's even hard to check on him at night. Now mind you, I grew up in a household where you were expected to know how to be quiet. Walk quietly. Open and close doors quietly. It's just normal to me. Sto had a different experience. Everything he (and his family I might add)(love you guys!) does is loud. He walks like an elephant. Cannot seem to master the simple act of turning a door knob quietly. And have you ever heard him sneeze?! Dear god! So as you might imagine, the thought of the two of us walking into Lincoln's room and gazing at our sleeping angel together is out of the question. We always try, mind you. But most nights I tip toe in, take a quick peak just to make sure he's not hanging out the crib or anything, and tip toe back out while Sto waits at the door. And I hold my breath the whole time. Really. I literally hold my breath. Last night, just as I was turning to leave the room he stirred. I froze. He stirred again and I dove to the ground at the foot of his crib in one graceful and silent move like master ninja. Because that's what I am. A mama ninja. I lied perfectly still and silent until I thought it safe to risk a look, half expecting him to be peering down at me. Luckily all was well so I slowly slowly rose and snuck out. Phew. That was a close one! Maybe tonight I'll just put my hand on the door, feel for his peaceful vibrations and leave it at that!
Good work, Heather, I totally relate. Olive is a light sleeper and I have done some pretty funny stunts to get out of her room ;) xoxo
ReplyDelete