Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cloth Diapers

As many of you know we have ventured into the world of cloth diapers, so I thought I would blog about it. I never set out to use cloth. To be honest, the thought never occurred to me until I started using gDiapers, which are a cloth outer layer that you can stuff a biodegradable liner into. I thought this was a better option than throwing away all that plastic and poop of disposable diapers into our landfills. Did you know it takes around 1,000 years for a plastic bag to break down? Notice I didn't say biodegrade, because plastic never biodegrades. It just breaks up into smaller and smaller pieces. I can't help but picture the entire earth covered in a layer of plastic some day. Anyways, this was the main reason we chose to avoid disposable diapers. That, plus the fact that all those chemicals and plastic is just sitting against baby's skin. Yuck. That just can't be good.

Did I mention we are saving thousands of dollars, too? Yup.

Well, the gDiapers didn't work out very well for us and kept leaking. But that got me looking into other options and low and behold there are many! Cloth diapers have come a long way! My taste has evolved over the last year, but I could not be happier with our choice to go cloth. I prefer prefold diapers with covers over anything else. They are made of natural fibers, fit really well, easy to wash, and are super cheap. There are lots of diapers that are even easier to use, but I just can't see spending more money than I have to on something that catches poo!

I get a lot of questions about how to use cloth diapers and so I decided to start making some videos about it. This first one is about prefold diapers and various ways to put them on a baby. I plan on making a few more videos about different styles of diapers and the accessories that go along with them. I know many of you who read my blog won't really care about this stuff but I'm posting it anyways. Who knows who reads this and hopefully someone finds it helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment